May 20, 2008

Out of Dilemma

After a great dilemma, I finally appeared for entrance exam of part time MBA. I would like to share all thoughts which played in my mind from the day I planned to study to this day, because during those days my mind was oscillating between whether to join or not.

Very first reason behind choosing part time course is the same which rules the world Money. Today living in a city like Ahmedabad has become too expensive. In such case you need to earn to cope up. And being a software engineer in a good company, I can not let my current profile go in vain.

Secondly I will gain good experience till I complete my study. I can visualize MBA fundas in my company itself. Even I can implement my study into practice in my own company (if they provide chance). Moreover I can learn from my company and complete my assignments ;)

Managing two lives together makes you a good manager by itself. Don’t take it lightly but it gives you a practice to work for long hours. Your mind should not think about study when you are on job and the opposite when you are studying. God may give me enough strength to cope up with. Frankly speaking this teaches you isolating your work from your personal life and vice versa. This has been a problem for most of good managers.

This is why I chose part time course over full time. Now I answer you most confusing questions I found when I planned to study.

What about placement? Well I guarantee you no part time course would provide you placement as it is meant for working professionals. Your employer is your sponsor and your supporter. I suggest you to fulfill your employer’s expectation. Don’t hide any thing from them. They can give you what you deserve.

Will it be add-ons for my career? It will be a great add on your knowledge. You must be able to utilize your knowledge in the best way. Remember one thing even if you climb a peak by any means, it is your way of utilizing your knowledge which decides your next position.

Don’t compare part time study with full time. Both have their own prons & crons. This was all about my struggle. I searched internet but it was the experience of my friends which helped me. So I planned to share it on internet and help those who feel the same. If you are on the same track, please share your problems or thoughts so that we can help each other.

5 comments:

Sandy said...

The way I know you, I really dont think the first and foremost reason that you chose to do MBA is not the love for money. You always loved managing things and loved to lead and guide from the from. Management was in your blood. I know it coz many a times i have resorted to you and found a good leader in you. Learning MBA will only be a tool for showing a certificate to support what you almost nearly know.

I know you will be able to make up and easily handle both work and studies with ease.

I think i have gone a little ga ga and all praise for you in this post. Kisi ki nazar na lage for that dont get this to get in your head. Always have your feet grounded to earth and be humble about it.

All the best dude.

Quote :“Study while others are sleeping; work while others are loafing; prepare while others are playing; and dream while others are wishing.” - William Arthur Ward

Jay Rajani said...

Thank you sandy. You are right about love for money. But I put money as the first reason as I can't withdraw the financial support to my family. I do not want either my family or me to have change in life style. And for that I have to earn. And about money I will get after MBA, you are absolutely right. That does not matter that much.

This is the first time I will study at my own will. And support from you all guys gave me the strength to achieve it.

Parth Barot said...

Absolutely true jay.

People don't know the value if they have not suffered for that thing. Money is not everything but it is something without which, what problems happens i have (and may be you also) seen.

Part time study is best choice for guys like us, because you can study to complete your wish and also helping yourself and family by earning something.

Good go..keep it up. :)

Jay Rajani said...

Thanks a lot Parth. The problem we faced is very common for middle class families, specially in India. I thank God for giving me all opportunities.

Parth Barot said...

:) if we have suffered things, at least we don't have that fear for what will happen if i loss this? You have i like "it can't be worst then this".

And we must thank god for giving us strength to go through it.