May 23, 2008

It is never late to mend

Few days ago I read a post on Parth’s blog "Why Hard to Accept". It was related to stubborn nature. I quite liked the article because I had faced the same problem. Suddenly I remember my altercation with one of my professors during graduation time.

I was in the first semester of BE in Atmiya institute. I was considered as a mischievous boy in class during those days. One day, I had a lab period of Mechanical Engineering. Lab assistant provided instructions for the period. Everyone started writing down the assignment. Meanwhile one of my group members was completing previous assignment as he was absent in last lab. He had some confusion in a theory. Being an enthusiastic student I went to him for help. I had a habit of making jokes often and I did the same while explaining my friend. We both were laughing on jokes made at regular intervals.

Lab assistant noticed this in few minutes. She came to me and asked to show how much assignment I had completed. As I was far behind than others, she became angry. She commanded me to sit away from group and complete the assignment before I left the lab.

The assignment was little lengthy and one period was not enough to complete in a single period if done liberally. I opposed her but she did not listen to me.

Losing my temper, I arrogantly said “You are doing this as you don’t like me. Though I was helping someone, you punished me and asked me to do what is almost impossible. If I can not complete it in time, my recess time will be ruined.”

In anger, I sat away from group and started to complete my assignment very fast. Somehow I had managed to complete the instructions before lab was about to over. I went back to her, showed her the assignment proudly.

In fact she was trying to maintain the discipline. And I made her upset. I did not care about her or about the hurt I caused at that time.

In next semesters, I was changed and became a studious boy, even scored top in university and became a ranker in my class. It is truly said you can run away from your past but can’t escape from it. Same lady needed to take a subject in fifth semester. When I saw her entering classroom, I was shocked and stared nervously. We both remained mute for each other. That time I greatly regretted about my act.

I went to her in recess time and expressed my guilty. I told her “I do not want to be remembered as a ranker but as a good student in this college. For me, your forgiveness is the only thing which let me feel that. I was very egoist when I made you upset. But time has changed me and I thank you for teaching me an important lesson in my life.”

Her eyes were filled with tears and she replied “I being a teacher consider you same as others. I have forgotten what you said in first semester. But today by asking for apology you proved yourself a good student.”

Today I called her before publishing this post. She still remembered me but forgot this event. She taught me two special lessons. First, it is never late to ask for forgiveness and that does not make you small. Secondly you should forget all the hurts that a person caused once that person is changed.

2 comments:

Parth Barot said...

Right dude. It is as it should be.

May be situations seems opposite us sometimes, but the person creating it don't want to hurt you always.

It is right that we must think before we say something if we feel so, but sometimes the anger not let you do that and you just blasted out in such a manner...

I can't just handle it...sometimes...

But when i feel that the person was right, i at least talk to him regarding this.

Nice incident you have shown.

Parth.

Sandy said...

Normally it happens to me that whenever i get angry i try to pull myself up saying to myself 'stay cool,stay cool' but sometimes when anger is at the peak i forget the environment as if something has got in my head and i cant stop my tongue expressing my anger.

In some other case it happens to me that i never intend to hurt someone and unknowingly hurt him.

In both cases when i hurt someone i later on feel that i shouldnt have done that or said that. But just like thrown stones, words said cant be reversed. The best thing to do is say Sorry.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote: Doomed are the hotheads! Unhappy are they who lose their cool and are too proud to say, I'm sorry